It’s been another good week for responses to the By The Decade piece – in case you missed it, here are the five from the fifties I chose to get everyone started, and all the By The Decade pieces so far can be found here.
Without further ado then, let’s have a look at your recommendations…
- Rio Grande (1950)
- Sunset Boulevard (1950)
- Singin’ In the Rain (1952)
- On The Waterfront (1954)
- The Smallest Show On Earth (1957)
- The Seven Year Itch (1955)
- North By Northwest (1959)
- Strangers On A Train (1951)
- Godzilla (1954)
- Sleeping Beauty (1959)
- Curse Of Frankenstein (1958)
- 12 Angry Men (1957)
- The Ladykillers (1955)
- The African Queen (1951)
- The Hound Of The Baskervilles (1959)
- High Noon (1952)
- Seven Samurai (1954)
- Forbidden Planet (1956)
- Ben-Hur (1959)
- Les 400 Coups (1959)
- Black Orpheus (1959)
- The Night Of The Hunter (1955)
- How To Make A Monster (1958)
- The House On Haunted Hill (1958)
- An Inspector Calls (1954)
- The Killing (1956)
- The Thing From Another World (1951)
- The Day The Earth Stood Still (1951)
- Paths Of Glory (1957)
- Roman Holiday (1953)
- Ace In The Hole (1951)
- Angel Face (1952)
- An Affair To Remember (1957)
- Curse Of The Demon (aka Night Of the Demon) (1957)
- Dial M For Murder (1954)
- Witness For The Prosecution (1957)
- Stalag 17 (1953)
Blimey, there’s plenty of great stuff to choose from here again, isn’t there?
I don’t know what your hit rate is like, but I’ve probably seen two-thirds of them and having read up briefly on the rest, I’m keen to see the others too.
Massive thanks again to everyone who took the time to get involved and make suggestions, and I’ll hope to see you all again next week for the 1960s!
- You can read By The Decade: 3 From The 30s here, and the reader suggestions here.
- You can read By The Decade: 4 From The 40s here, and the reader suggestions here.